Bench — a universal sports device designed to perform a large number of strength exercises.
Depending on the types of exercises, the benches are divided into the following categories.
- Athletic bench (universal) — designed for exercises with free weights for training various muscle groups: arms, legs, back, shoulder girdle and chest (presses, traction with a barbell, pullovers, wiring with kettlebells and dumbbells). It is used both with a rack (under the barbell) and without it (working with kettlebells, dumbbells).
- Press bench (gymnastic) — used for exercises with its own weight (primarily training the upper, middle and lower press), dropping excess weight, developing flexibility, joint mobility, endurance, etc. Some models are also equipped with dumbbells.
Stand – construction, which is used during barbell exercises (chest presses, squats, etc.). The simplest option consists of two bases, interconnected. More complex models include many additional elements, which significantly expands its functionality (bars, horizontal bar, etc.).
Bench with stand — a combined option that provides training for a large number of muscles.
- Rack for pear / bag — a type of rack that holds a pear or bag and is designed for boxing training.
- Bench with stand
- Bench universal
Equipment and settings
Scotta plug-in — designed to train the biceps («Scott exercise»), triceps and other muscles of the arms, as well as the shoulder girdle. Advantages: safety for the back, compactness and light weight.
Back and seat tilt adjustment – allows you to perform exercises at different (positive and negative) angles, which makes it possible to train different muscle groups.
Foot pads — used to train the muscles of the press, legs, etc. Soft rollers provide comfort during exercise.
Maximum weight (load)
Maximum user weight (for bench) and maximum load (for rack) are key featureson which the safety of training depends.
For gymnastic benches designed mainly for the athlete’s own weight, the standard maximum weight will be 100-130 kg. Athletic and universal benches are designed for the use of free weights (barbells, heavy dumbbells), so in some models the maximum load reaches 600 kg. Since these models often form a single structure with the racks, the maximum weight of the bar (load) is indicated for them.
Important: the weight of the athlete is added to the weight of the weights used by him in the process of training.
Depends on the height of the athlete. So, for a height of 195 cm, a bench 120-125 cm long is required. For taller athletes, a projectile with a length of 130 cm or more should be selected.
The width of the bench must be such as to support the spine and head of the athlete. The optimal dimensions are from 24 to 32 cm.
For home training, the height of the bench should not exceed 45 cm, and the height of 25-30 cm is considered optimal. At this height, the athlete will be able to rest his feet on the floor. The rack height should be easy to change to allow for safe benching and squatting.
The weight of the bench/stand largely depends on the maximum user weight (load). The more weight (load) it can withstand, the more it weighs.
- First of all, you need to decide on the purpose and types of training (free or own weight).
- Designate the place where you plan to install the simulator. It is necessary to take into account the dimensions of the bench and rack.
- It is recommended to purchase benches / racks only in specialized stores.
- It is better to choose simulators of well-known brands, although they are more expensive than analogues from unknown manufacturers.
- Be sure to pay attention to the quality of the metal, the reliability of fasteners, connections and structural details, stability. All this affects both the safety of products and the duration of their service.
- The backrest lifting structure must be strong enough to hold the backrest itself and withstand additional loads.
- And, of course, do not forget about comfort. The upholstery of the bench should not be too soft, not too hard, while it should be comfortable to lie and sit on it. With the help of «fitting live» you can answer this question.
The cost of benches and racks for sports depends on their functionality and the number of adjustments. Do not buy equipment from unknown brands. Their biggest drawback is very weak frame materials, which is simply unsafe for life, after all.
The group of exercise equipment worth paying attention to is the products of the brands Kettler, Torneo, BH Fitness, Body Sculpture, Body-Solid, GYM80, HouseFit, Impulse, Inter Atletika, Life Gear, Marbo Sport, Panatta, Precor, SportsArt, Star Trac, Tunturi, USA Style, Vadzaari. The most important thing in high-quality benches is strong and reliable steel, upholstery materials must also be technological and non-slip.